21 May 2015
2nd Annual Global Social Service Workforce Alliance Symposium
Wednesday, June 10, 2015, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. EST
In-person at the United States Institute of Peace, 2301 Constitution Dr NW, Washington, DC 20037
or Live webcast (link to be provided)
(Click here to determine the local time)
This second annual symposium is an opportunity for NGOs, practitioners, government representatives, scholars, and other experts from around the world to discuss efforts to strengthen the social service workforce and advance systems and services for children and families. Presentations will focus on ways in which planning, developing and supporting the social service workforce can lead to more effective services for children and families, increased support to community-based initiatives, and stronger systems of care.
The Symposium will also act as a dissemination event for the first annual State of the Social Service Workforce 2015 Report. The 15 countries included in the report are: Cambodia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Ghana, Indonesia, Kenya, Moldova, Myanmar, Namibia, Nepal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Vietnam and Zambia.
Participants will be able to join in-person in Washington, D.C. and via live webcast from any location. Live webcast and in-person attendees will have the opportunity to ask questions and engage in discussion. RSVP to attend the event in-person or via live webcast.
- Ms. Amy Bess, Coordinator, Global Social Service Workforce Alliance
- Ms. Jennifer Adams, Deputy Assistant Administrator, Bureau for Global Health, Population and Reproductive Health, Office of HIV/AIDS, Office of Health Systems, USAID
- Ms. Karin Heissler, Child Protection Specialist, UNICEF, NY
- Dr. Jini Roby, Professor, Department of Social Work, Brigham Young University
- Ms. Joyce Nakuta, Deputy Director, Namibia Ministry of Gender Equality and Child Welfare, Directorate Child Welfare Services, Division Child Care
- Mr. Ummuro Adano, Senior Principal Technical Advisor, Management Sciences for Health
- Dr. Robin Sakina Mama, Professor and Dean, Monmouth University School of Social Work
- Ms. Zenuella Sugantha Thumbadoo (Zeni), Deputy Director, National Association of Child Care Workers – South Africa
- Ms. Silke Felton, Interim Senior OVC Advisor OGAC / Impact Mitigation Specialist PEPFAR Swaziland
- Dr. Natia Partskhaladze, Child Protection Specialist, UNICEF CEE/CIS Regional Office, Chairperson, Georgian Association of Social Workers and Adjunct Lecturer, Iv. Javakhishvili Tbilisi State University, Georgia
- Dr. Jim McCaffery, Senior Organization Strengthening Specialist, TRG and Chairperson, Global Social Service Workforce Alliance Steering Committee
- Disseminate data and information about the workforce in 15 countries as described in the first annual State of the Social Service Workforce 2015 Report, which will be launched on the day of the Symposium
- Stimulate discussion of current initiatives underway to strengthen the social service workforce and improve services for children and families
- Promote the exchange of information between members of the Alliance and other family strengthening, health and social service workforce experts across countries and regions
This event is made possible through funding from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) to the 4Children project (led by CRS) through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program and also by the GHR Foundation.
Become a member of the Alliance (free) or join the email list to receive additional updates on this event and other events and information. The Alliance is a network of 600+ individuals and organizations working in 60+ countries who share an interest in strengthening the social service workforce.